Wimmelpicture as Eyecatcher
This is a look behind the scenes for the creation of the wimmelpicture on my home page.
Visitors of my website should understand at first sight that I’m all about drawings and illustrations. I also want to convey what I am capable of achieving in that area. For these reasons one of the first elements that is visible on the home page is a picture with 92 distinct drawn characters. In the center of it is my logo, which I’m just finishing to draw.
The idea for the wimmelpicture on the front page has existed in a similar form since the first version of this website. In 2018 I had already created a first version of this design. However, my means of photographing this image had been way more modest back then.
I also had to realize that I wasn’t able to use this first picture for many formats in an optimal way. The preview pictures for shared links on social networks like Facebook and Twitter use a very wide aspect ratio. In these cases large portions of the image are cut off and many of the characters are difficult to see in these cases.
Similarly, the title images for many social media profiles use extremely wide pictures. In those cases not even the logo in the center was completely shown.
Wimmelpicture: Take Two
For the new, revised version of my website I also wanted to have a new variation of the title image. There were a number of things I wanted to improve in this second attempt:
- The subject was supposed to work in many different formats, both portrait and landscape.
- The logo should be smaller so it is still fully visible in very narrow or wide formats.
- There should be more characters which should also be drawn smaller. That way, even in very wide formats more of them would be fully visible.
- The quality of the photo should be noticeably better than in the first version.
I decided against working digitally for this version of the title image, too. The crucial reason for that was that one of the elements of the picture was, again, my hand, finishing the drawing of the logo.
To fit the higher amount of details I decided to work on a paper size that is unusually large for me. And so, shortly after, I walked out of the shop in with several sheets of DIN A2 paper.
Creating the Wimmelpicture
The first step was to define a “safe area”. This area was based on the most extreme aspect ratio, in which the picture should still be usable. Anything in this area should be visible in pretty much every case.
In this area I then drew the logo. I was then able to position the characters around the logo and to define the proper sizes. I sketched the characters with pencils, used fineliners to create the line art and shaded them using Copic markers.
My goal was to make sure that every character in the wimmelpicture should recognizable immediately as an archetype or an actually existing person. For this reason I had to come up with a lot of occupations, stereotypes of celebrities who can be identified right away due to their features or clothing.
The rest was simply a matter of patience. Whenever I had the opportunity I continued to work on the picture.
Once the drawing was finally done, Mailyn Lemcke photographed and edited the final version with my hand in the picture.
The blue tint makes sure that the wimmelpicture fits in well with the color scheme of the website.
And now, after investing so much time and effort into this project, I’m sure I will use it in more than one place.
This might be interesting for you as well: